Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Week 18 - Transfers and Tremors

Well, here in the Valley, it gets really really hot. Like, 120's during the day. And in zone meeting on Wednesday, we talked about how we're going to really be "unfailingly optimistic" as Elder Hamula said last week. But, there is a promise of being in the Imperial Valley in the summertime! MIRACLES. So I'm really excited to excercise my faith and work in this heat because I know Heavenly Father will help me to be more sensitive to the Spirit and help me find more prepared people.  (Even if I'm literally sweating buckets as I find them). And it could be worse! We could be on bikes like the Elders in Calexico and El Centro! Haha. 😁

Tuesday we played a nasty game of basketball. I'm actually getting decent because we play every week haha. Sister Tuia and I always guard each other and she is so competitive so it's kind of fun. She's really rough too, like if I didn't outweigh her by like 30 pounds I would be in trouble! But it's still fun. The Elders treat us like we're just other players (I guess they kind of have to when we play 3 on 3) but it's fun!
Then Wednesday we had ZONE MEETING! I love our zone. They're so great.  We talked a lot about goals, and we set a goal to have 25 baptisms this summer. Because miracles happen in the Valley. It's like a common mission knowledge that when the summer comes, the Valley lights on fire. Spiritually and literally.
Thursday night was an exciting night. First of all, for some background information: Sister Tuia and I have beds that have wheels at the bottom and our house is all hardwood floor. And in the middle of the night I wake up to my bed shaking back and forth. And first I was like seriously Sister Tuia it is one in the morning! But then I just hear, "Esta bien Hermana?" And I realize that we are in an earthquake! I've never been in one like that before. So it lasted about 5 minutes (maybe it was shorter I'm not sure) and then it stopped. Then Sister Tuia and I established that we would make  emergency earthquake kits just in case there was a big earthquake and we had to run out. (We would definitely need some snacks in that situation ;) and then we went back to sleep! So that was pretty exciting, and I'm sure it was not the last one we will feel since the fault line is right where we are and the weather is apparently earthquake weather. So I get to experience something new and exciting!

Saturday Maria got baptized!  We got there in time to fill the font, make the programs, and decorate and set everything up. So the service went well, then it came time to have Maria be baptized. And they opened the doors, and the font was only half full! I guess I didn't put the plug in all the way or something and the water had been slowly draining out. But she got all the way under and that is what matters haha. She was so nervous, but it went really well. She has been investigating the church for over 8 years and finally made the decision to be baptized. It was a really special and spiritual service and I felt so blessed to be a part of it.
 
Sunday we had lunch with the entire family of brother and sister Gow.  And their son apparently served his mission with a Trevor Fowlks.....all you Fowlkses out there do we know a Trevor Fowlks?
Anyways, that was good.  Monday we found out about transfers and got a new car! Who hoo! I will be staying here in Brawley (🎉🎉🎉) and Sister Tuia is going to Sweetwater.  I'm really really happy that I am staying here (also because I really really didn't want to pack up all my stuff) but also I feel like I still have a lot to learn from the people here in Brawley.  And my new companion is named Sister Garcia, she's from Chihuahua, Mexico and she usually serves in the Mormon Battalion Visitors Center in San Diego so that's kind of fun! She came to melt in la Valle. Pobrecita. And then we got the Sister Training Leaders' car because they're going to sell ours. And their car is soooo nice and the air conditioning works way better. So that's awesome.
Les quiero mucho!

 Hermana Fowlks
 
The Sisters in the District.  Sister Sanders is going home.
Maria's Baptism 
                 New Companion Sister Garcia
 




No comments:

Post a Comment