Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Week 23 - Christmas in July 🎄🎄

Hello all!

Sorry I didn't write very much last week....there wasn't a ton going on except a lot of finding and also there was an ultimate dodgeball game going on. So, yeah sorry about that! But this week was a good one! We actually found someone who was prepared and his name is Juan and he has a baptismal date for August 13! 🎉  We've been a little bit frustrated these last couple weeks because we haven't been able to find people that will progress. But we've learned that as long as you're giving everything you can, Heavenly Father will make up the rest.

Thursday was a really good day. We had an appointment with Juan Franco who we found during power hour. And as we taught him he told us about all his problems (for some reason people do that all the time with missionaries, I don't know why) and then we explained to him that baptism is a way to start a new life. So we invited him to be baptized, and he said yes! Then we set him for a date on August 13! I might not be here at that time because I'll probably get transferred (😓😓😓) but I just hope he progresses. He didn't come to church on Sunday so we'll keep trying with him. Then we had dinner with the Smith family, not Bishop or Stake President Smith but old stake president and ward organist Smith family. They are soooo nice and we're actually going to start playing racquet ball at their house for excercise 3 days a week so that will be fun.

Friday we had district meeting, and our district leader is so so good.  He really cares for us, and he told us then that we were going to do Blitz in our area.  Blitz is when all the members of the district go to an area of a certain companionship that might be struggling, and they all stay there for an hour and find people to teach. So we're going to do that next Saturday! Hooray! That's how you show love to others, especially as missionaries. Trying to help others. So that will be cool.

Saturday we had a lesson with Damian. He's so awesome. He wants to go to all the temples in Utah. He loves the temple! He's really got a testimony of the Book of Mormon. He's supposed to be getting the Melchezedek priesthood soon, and that will be so awesome because he leaves for college in like a month. We also had a lesson with a less active named Katie. She's really struggling, and it stresses me out that I have so many people to take care of and that I am responsible for helping them and I want to make sure I can do everything I can. It is just a little overwhelming when you realize just how much you need to be doing as a missionary. And I want to do it right, I want to do everything I can, but sometimes I feel like it's just so much.

Anyways, later on on Thursday we went and visited an investigator named Silvia. She's really really old, so we're not even sure if she understands everything. And she didn't come to church on Sunday like she said she would. :( so we'll keep looking to see what we can do to help her understand. And Pres. Flores and his wife came to the lesson with us and they helped. And I can't understand her at all because she's speaking a lot of slang Spanish and she has no teeth. So, it's a little frustrating! But then we had a lesson with a less active family that night named the Mayas. Their kids are soooo cute! And they love us always, and they are so nice. They have true desires to come to church but Ulises always works so they don't come to church. So we will keep working with them!

Sunday was good, we had church, and there was a bunch of drama in the Spanish branch because of the old ladies. We had dinner with Sis Holt who is so sweet. But then I accidentally ate like some cashew dust.  But it was a miracle because I didn't even react! My mouth got slightly itchy and then it went away. Milagro!! And that night we had another miracle. We went to go see an investigator who we hadn't seen for a long time. So it was a long shot that she would be home because she's always in Mexicali. But we drove by her house and there she was! Sitting outside! So that was so cool. And we talked to her and she had been reading the Book of Mormon! So we're going to go back and see her on Wednesday and help her understand the Book of Mormon a little more because she struggling with that. The only problem is that her husband doesn't really like us.....so I really hope that he sees that we truly care for her and that he doesn't make us go away. Because that has happened before and it's sad when that happens. But we will keep praying for her! She's going to have a baby in a few months too, and that softens hearts.

Monday we went and did power hour with John. He's a member, he got baptized 3 years ago but is too old to serve a mission but he wants to SOOO bad. And he's like a better missionary than me. But he's awesome! And we take him out with us at night to keep us safe from all the crazies haha

This week something special that happened was that we had dinner with the Gows. They are the cutest!  And Sister Gow likes to celebrate Christmas in July so she gave us clues and we had to find our Christmas present.  And she gave us chocolate covered macadamia nuts from Hawaii! They are so nice. I mean, I'm allergic to macadamia nuts so I actually gave them to our homeless friend named Bruce but it's the thought that counts. Brother Gow is really old but he's really really funny and they tell us stories and we're also kind of working with their less active kids at the same time. So it works out great.

If I get transferred next week, I will be super sad but I also know that I can trust that my Heavenly Father knows what's best for me! He knows what's best for all of us. And that is so great about this Plan that He has. It is in our favor. We're on the right team. :)

I love you all, thanks for all the support! You guys are awesome!

Les quiero!
Hermana Fowlks
Here we are celebrating Christmas in July with Bro. and Sis. Gow :)
 
Here we are with who I like to call the King of Brawley.  He's literally everywhere.

 
 
Here is some of the scenery we found when we got lost.  Only cows and birds and us.  But the sunset looked nice!
                 
 
We found this crazy person with these crazy signs.  Yeah we avoided this house... haha.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment