Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Week 8 - Perks of Living in the Ghetto!

Hola familia y amigos!

This week, on Friday, I read a talk about becoming a consecrated missionary and it helped me SO MUCH. So I'm taking things one step at a time and improving myself day by day with the help of Heavenly Father.

So, as to my subject title.  Friday night we were getting ready to go to an appointment but we had to run back to the apartment to get something. So we left again, and all of a sudden Hermana Tuia was like "Oh no, I left the keys in the house!" And we were locked out.  But then we realized who lived in the apartments around us, and not a minute passed when a man walked out and we yelled, "Hey! Can you break into our house?" His response: "Of course!" So as he was sticking his card into our door to break in, we talked to him about what we do, and he was like "You guys should come visit me!" So we have an appointment with him tonight. But now we know that if we ever need to break in somewhere, we have neighbors that do it for a living!

General conference was also awesome!  I loved all of the talks.  One that really spoke to me was Elder Uchtdorf's. We are constantly being rebuilt and with God we can become who we are destined to become. Awesome. :)

I think that's it for this week, I love you all! Remember that Jesus Christ is our brother and our friend and our Savior.
 
Hermana Fowlks
 
Part of Sister Fowlks' letter to her Dad -
Hi Dad! 
So yes we have a car, and we're avoiding the bikes at all costs haha. It's just too hot! It will probably get up to about 120 by September. I speak Spanish a lot, but not full time. I'm starting to dream in Spanish, which is a sign that you're becoming fluent so that's good! 

Yeah the transition is still pretty rough. Sometimes I find myself wishing I was back in Mexico.... Which is bad because it distracts me! But I feel like it's getting better.  My companion is from Samoa, and it's just kind of hard because she has started to look to me as the leader.....and I don't know what I'm doing!
 
Yeah here in Brawley it's pretty much just like the town from the movie McFarland USA. The people here are very humble, and poor.   So yeah we committed someone to baptism, I did it in Spanish and everything was fine. But then after watching conference he was like "I need like a year to decide."    WHAT THE CRAP.  So we will probably have to drop his date. So we don't have anyone with a baptismal date for now, hopefully next week we'll have someone!
 
My studies are great! That's one of my favorite times of the day. Especially when I get to study Spanish. :)  Sounds like the kids are doing well in all of their activities!  There isn't really anything like that here because people here are so poor. So tell the kids to be grateful for everything! We listened to conference in English, just because we wouldn't have gotten very much out of it in Spanish haha!
I love you!!
 
Here is Sister Fowlks with her companion Sister Tuia and ward member Gloria.  These pictures were taken after the Sunday afternoon session of conference.  They watched it at the stake center which is about a 15 minute drive from Brawley.  Brawley is about 1.5 hours away from San Diego, close to the boarder of Arizona. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment