Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Week 16 - Apostles and Puppies

Hola amigos!

Well, I would have to say the highlight of our week was going down to San Diego to hear from Elder Holland! Brawley is really far from San Diego, so we got up at 4:30 AM and all of the Sisters rode down in the van. It was quite the adventure. And then when Elder Holland spoke I felt at many times that it was specifically for me. One thing the said that really stuck out to me was "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you love." And so, in all experiences with anyone, whether it is a missionary opportunity or just talking with someone, I invite you all to show your love before you do anything else. Love is the root of everything!! And it's awesome. We were on the second row so I got to be yelled at by Elder Holland front and center! That man gets passionate about missionary work, let me tell ya ;)  Some other highlights that I wrote down -
"God loves everything about you and your zone and district.  Don't miss this it only comes once! Don't spend time wondering if it (the mission) is a good thing or a bad thing. It's all good! Even the bad days. Be the Best you've ever been.  What you're doing is the most important thing that can be done in this universe. Grasp this chance to save the human family. And that means you do it Gods way."

Also, we all got to shake his hand and introduce ourselves. So here I am, my big moment with an Apostle, wondering what I am going to say, or what he will say, and I get up there, I look into his eyes, and he says: "Wow. You look like you've been spending some time in the sun!"  My big moment with Elder Holland and he points out my sunburn! Haha but it was still good.  And then like 2 days later they released statement saying that Sisters could wear hats in the field to protect their faces from the sun....coincidence? I think not ;)

Then Sunday was a busy day! I spoke in both the English and Spanish wards.  And then in the Spanish ward I was so tired that I accidentally played the wrong opening hymn....that was awkward haha. Then that night we had the mission president devotional in English at 6 and in Spanish at 7 and I sang in a trio with Sis Lapp and Sheilds (they are the sisters in Calexico) and Sis Summers played the piano and Elder Castillo played the cello. It was actually a surprise that I was singing, I found out the day before because they needed a strong alto. But it ended up sounding pretty good I think.

And really, that's all I have to report this week! We're going to hear from one of the Quorum of the 70 next Friday so we'll be driving down to San Diego again!

I love you all. Jesus is the Christ, and He loves us. Have a great week everyone!

Hermana Fowlks

No comments:

Post a Comment